Friday, June 13, 2014

How much does one 'poor' life really matter?- A confrontation at Gadchiroli



A tingling sensation of the slap had continued to persist on my cheek many minutes after it had been rendered upon me by an angry young man who had walked into my lodging without warning. He had immediately been whisked away by a group of youngsters who had been conversing with me.

It was as a part of my course field work that I had come to stay in a tribal village in the infamous Gadchiroli district of eastern Maharashtra. The first semester of my Masters in Social Work had been rather uninspiring and I was looking forward to making the most out of this end-semester field work.

I had packed little and had prepared myself to journey through the dense jungles of this forest covered district as best as I could. But the start had been rather daunting and I was still recovering from the slap. It had only been an hour since my designated NGO at Kurkheda had dropped me off at Khidiritola village in Korchi block.

Amid all this tension, Krishna kaka the head of my host-house began to frantically apologize to me. I managed to meekly smile and reassure him with a ‘thike hai’ (it’s ok). He had sensed my unrelenting unease and sat in silence with a lowered head and a crestfallen face which continued to hold an innocent smile of embarrassment.

After a few moments of silence, Krishna Kaka began to ask questioningly, “You are comfortable in this house na baba? I know it is small but I hope you are happy. We do not have much to build a finer house.”

I reassured him again saying how despite the heat outside, it remained cool inside their home. This was the magic of a mud house.

After a brief moment of silence, I enquired, “Who was that boy?”

Kaka replied in his broken Hindi, “Kaun (who) Ganesh? He’s a good lad. Just a little disturbed. His name is Ganesh. Do forgive him baba.”

He slowly began narrating to me the anguish of Ganesh whose brother had been diagnosed with mouth cancer a year ago. A certain health centre which shared a name similar as that of the NGO I came from had allegedly cheated him of a lot of money. They had promised to bring his brother Suraj in good health. But soon after they took him into a hospital in the block town of Korchi, his situation began to get complicated and they claimed that immediate surgeries were required to be carried out.

Later that evening, a weeping and apologetic Ganesh told me how after a week the doctors had told them that Suraj's life could not be saved. He told me how the doctor treating Suraj had all along kept the family uninformed about what was exactly happening with him. Ganesh later observed stitch marks on Suraj's abdomen indicating that the doctors had operated upon him there. He failed to understand why a patient admitted for mouth cancer had to be operated upon on the abdomen. The doctors had failed to answer his questions about why they had done so and had instead demanded for the remaining medical fees to be paid before the body could be handed over to the family. The medical expenses had led Ganesh into a large debt. I was told later that he had been a little unsettled ever since.

Ganesh continued to speak incoherently of the various problems that had befallen his family. I began to picture a moment three years ago when I had met with a bike accident late into the night. Serious injuries had led to a cerebral hemorrhage which needed immediate attention. I woke up alive after 10 days of complete sleep in the ICU of a posh hospital in Chennai. A team of top-class neurologists and Anesthesiologists had been treating and operating upon me all along keeping my parents informed at every step about any developments in my condition.

A part of my skull was removed and a titanium mesh was placed instead to keep me safe. The doctors later informed me that had I been admitted any later than when I was, my chances of being alive would have been very unlikely.

The hospital I had been admitted to was just a kilometer and a half away from the place of my accident. The hospital nearest to Khidiritola was at Korchi 40 kilometers away. And the only means of transportation in the case of an emergency...


...a bullock cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment